Effective Thursday, March 19th, 2020, BC Liquor Stores will be temporarily suspending the return of empty drink containers. We recognize the inconvenience and economic hardship this may cause some customers, however, the well-being of our employees remains our number one priority.
Thank you for your understanding.
Every year, customers return around 93 million empty beverage alcohol containers to BC Liquor Stores for recycling. Thank you for doing your part to reduce our impact on the environment!
Customers returning empty containers will be paid a full deposit refund at the following rates set by the BC Recycling Regulation:
|Dealcoholized beer or wine container up to and including 1 Litre||5¢|
|Alcohol container up to and including 1 Litre||10¢|
|Alcohol container greater than 1 Litre||20¢|
RETURNING EMPTY CONTAINERS
Returned containers must not contain liquid, must be clean, and caps must be removed.
To receive a refund, BC Liquor Store staff must be able to determine if the product was sold in BC. So, for example:
- aluminum cans cannot be crushed beyond recognition;
- bottles must have their original label; and
- bag-in-box wine containers must be whole (cardboard exterior and the interior, plastic bladder)
Due to space limitations, some BC Liquor Stores may accept only a limited number of empty beverage alcohol containers. In Metro Vancouver, for example, most stores accept a maximum of 24 containers per person per day.
To return an unlimited number of containers, customers are encouraged to visit a Return-It depot in their community.
- Find the nearest Return-It Depot that pays full deposit refund on all alcohol containers including aluminum cans and refillable beer bottles
- Find the nearest Return-It Depot that provides full deposit on most alcohol containers (e.g., wine, spirits, and import beer bottles) but may not provide full refund on aluminum cans or refillable beer bottles
DID YOU KNOW...
BC is one of the only places in North America that were returned glass bottles are recycled back into new glass bottles?
Watch the video here to find out more.
Every year, BC Liquor Stores recycle thousands of tonnes of cardboard and shrink wrap used to transport liquor products from our distribution centres to our retail stores.
To further reduce the impact on the environment, BC Liquor Stores encourage customers to use a reusable bag to carry out their purchases. Reusable bags can be purchased in BC Liquor Stores. Otherwise, a plastic or paper carry-out bag will be provided.
Our paper bags made from 97% post-consumer recycled content. They are 100% compostable and 100% recyclable through curbside collection programs.
Our plastic bags are made in BC and contain 20% recycled plastic bottles. The bags are 100% recyclable. BC Liquor Stores contribute financially to a BC-wide plastic bag recycling program to ensure that plastic bags given to customers can be returned free-of-charge to designated return locations across the province.
For More Information
The BC Liquor Distribution Branch’s (LDB’s) Special Orders department is pleased to consider customer requests to order products that are not currently available in British Columbia.
Customers who are considering submitting a request for this premium service should be aware that:
- This service is exclusively available to British Columbia residents, as the product must be purchased and picked up from a BC Liquor Store.
- This service is for beverage alcohol products only. De-alcoholized products cannot be ordered.
- All Special Orders must be ordered by the LDB directly from a Supplier or through another Canadian liquor board.
- Typically, the final cost for special order products is significantly higher than the retail price in the country of origin after exchange rates, mark up, freight, taxes and duty are applied.
- Once an order is placed, the import process may take up to six months depending on the product's point of origin.
- There are minimum order requirements associated with all special orders:
|Wine||2 case minimum||2 case minimum||2 case minimum|
|Spirits||1 case minimum||2 case minimum||2 case minimum|
|Beer / refreshment||10 case minimum||1 pallet* minimum||Not available for SO|
|Shipping Cost||$80 minimum||$200 minimum||$400 minimum|
*pallet = 80 cases (24 cans/bottles per case)
In order to submit a special order request, customers should provide us with as many details as possible by using this electronic form. If there is a local agent who represents the product requested, we will refer the customer to the agent directly. Otherwise, we will source the product and provide the customer with cost and delivery information.
Products requested through a special order request are subject to the same LDB product guidelines and social responsibility policies as products registered for sale in B.C.
Please note that, in cases where a product is not available in BC Liquor Stores or via special order, our knowledgeable BC Liquor Store teams are happy to provide customers with excellent, comparable product recommendations from within the local store’s inventory that will suit their taste and budget. Customers can visit store locator to find a store near them.
Download the form (PDF format) below, obtain the form from any BC Liquor Store, request by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the Special Orders desk at 604-252-8813.
Complete the form with as much information as possible. The more information you have (about the product), the quicker it can be processed.
Email the completed form to email@example.com.
The LDB will contact the supplier to request pricing and minimum order quantities. If there is a local agent who represents the product requested, we will refer the customer to the agent directly. If the product is available, all applicable costs (e.g. freight charges, duties, taxes, markups) will be calculated. An estimated retail price per bottle and case will be determined. This quoted price is subject to change based on final confirmation by the Supplier.
We will contact you with the estimated retail price for your review and approval to proceed with the order. You will have two weeks to confirm the order by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upon receiving your confirmation, LDB will place your order with the supplier.
When your product arrives, we will arrange delivery of the product to the BCLS location you requested on the order form. The BCLS will contact you directly when the product is available for pick up.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Product Consultants are available to help customers with product selections at Signature™ BC Liquor Stores. Product Consultants provide you with more in-depth information on products and to provide product advice including:
- Arranging a comprehensive wine tasting
- Finding the right product for the occasion
- Learning more about products (product knowledge)
- Starting and maintaining a wine cellar
We encourage you to speak to a Product Consultant for any product-related questions. Visit or call any of our Signature™ BC Liquor Stores for more information.